A microwave oven is a kitchen appliance that may come in a variety of sizes and colors. The appliance is designed to cook or heat food quicker than is possible in a conventional oven. A man named Percy Spencer first created the microwave oven. However, Spencer did not set out to invent the microwave oven; he came across the idea by accident. He was working on a radar set and he discovered that the radiation from the set had melted a chocolate bar that was in his pocket. From here, he began to try different foods in his “microwave”. The first food ever to be cooked by Spencer was popcorn. A patent was filed in 1945 for Spencer’s creation.
Microwaves come in a variety of sizes:
- Compact Microwaves – A compact microwave has also been called a portable microwave. While compact microwave ovens are the most popular they are typically used for reheating meals or popping microwave popcorn.
- Medium Capacity Microwaves – These are typically standard size “family” microwaves. They are slightly larger than the compact microwave. Due to increase size and voltage, these microwaves cook food faster than the compact microwave. They are suitable for cooking small pieces of meat and a variety of vegetables.
- Large Capacity Microwaves – These are designed for cooking meals. They range from medium size to quite large. This type of microwave can handle cooking a variety of meats and some are even able to cook a large chicken or small turkey.
- Counter-top Microwaves – These are leader in microwave sales today. These ovens are small enough to fit on your counter top but are designed to cook food the same as a medium or large capacity microwave.
- Built-in Microwaves – In new homes, these are the microwaves of choice because they fit into a space in the cabinetry. Most have a built in fume hood so that they fit over the stove and have the fan built into the bottom.